Chat in English (英語で雑談) part 202
http://lavender.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/english/1502872213/

Hey!!! All you NEETs, nerds, YouTube link spammers, pedophiles, neo-Nazis,
Yukorin enthusiasts, Nanako SOS admirers, Part-Time-Preachers,
Diplomats' spoiled sons, losers who can't remember Kanji characters,
Big-boobs fans, Weeaboo from around the world, learners of Japanese
who are too lazy to update their Japanese blogs very often, cunning
linguists, stupid fan girls of Johnny's Boys, Touhou pirates, and
that electrical super-gay who suffers from mental disease - This is your thread!
Let's hope the Internet-addicted housewife will come back soon!

We all wish for permanent world peace!
0847名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイ 6d63-EvbJ)
垢版 |
2017/11/19(日) 17:59:46.16ID:u+7o5RLZ0
>>843
I'd probably choose invisibility as well.
But if I could get the power to never need to sleep, eat, or drink, then I'd go with that instead.
Invisibility also wouldn't work versus infrared cameras. Invisible or not, you still emit heat.
0850名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイWW 821d-zeDX)
垢版 |
2017/11/19(日) 19:20:38.64ID:5wIcKPVU0
>>815
Wait are you from Sweden?
I've heard that the building industry is so progressing there like the concept of passive house.
It's way too cold here even when you are in a room.
>>799
I've never seen such a plastic bag of milk but I want to try it someday.
It seems that you must treat it carefully especially when you transport and stock it up.
>>833
We got the Internet. Do you know what ”language exchange” is like?
You can help people who want to learn Japanese, or any other languages, and then they would help you in return.
Are you on any social media? Let’s get partners and chat!
0859名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイ 6d63-EvbJ)
垢版 |
2017/11/19(日) 20:15:36.07ID:u+7o5RLZ0
>>850
Yep, I'm from Sweden.
I haven't heard about those so called passive houses, though.
All I know is that the capital where I live, Stockholm, has a serious housing shortage.
All the immigration into the country makes it hard to find somewhere to live.
And the few places that you can find are really expensive.

Oh, and if you or >>833-san have any social media or Discord (a very popular free chat program,)
then we could talk and help each other with the respective languages we're learning.
0864名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイ cdcf-cjtC)
垢版 |
2017/11/19(日) 22:54:12.57ID:ASI88J2v0
hey native speakers.
Is it appropriate to say "take off" when I want you to take off your jacket?
Without an object of prepositon off, does that just sound like ordering taking off (from runway) ?
How about just saying "put off"?
Which is better , put off or take off ?
0871名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! cdcf-cjtC)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 02:45:22.85ID:0yQz8AK10HAPPY
>>870
then, how about "take off" only without "your jacket" ?
which sounds right "take off" only or "put off" only ?

I was surprised you don't have an interst in soccer.
Soccer must be most popular sport in Sweden.
You didn't care when Sweden beated Italy in worldcup playoff ?
The loss of Italy was relatively a big sports news even in Japan.

I guess even people who don't care about soccer in dailylife
get excited when it comes to worldcup.

person like you is common in Sweden?
0873名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! 6d63-EvbJ)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 03:14:47.10ID:7xPeqzgF0HAPPY
>>871
Do you mean as a sentence on its own? Neither would be correct.
"Take *it* off" ("it" being the jacket, if it's obvious from context) would be fine.
"Put off" doesn't work. You *put* on clothes, but you *take* them off.
The only instance I can think of where "put off" would be when used as an expression.
"I was put off by the color of her shirt" - meaning "I really didn't like the color of her shirt" for example.

Yes, I believe soccer is the most popular sport here.
I heard about the Sweden vs. Italy world cup match, but I didn't know we won until you told me just now.

I don't know if people like me are common, but most people I personally know don't care about sports either.
0874名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! cdcf-cjtC)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 04:49:09.54ID:0yQz8AK10HAPPY
>>873
thanks. then when i said just take off, a person who was talked to would feel like being ordered to
take off (from a runway) if possible?

>I heard about the Sweden vs. Italy world cup match, but I didn't know we won until you told me just now.

uwahahahahaha(japanese expresion of laughing)

>I don't know if people like me are common, but most people I personally know don't care about sports either.
Really. Have you ever heard of Ibrahimovic, world famous FW player?
As you can see, he is valcan and islamic descent. he looks some kind of white but
pretty different from average swedes.
Does that something to do with swedish indifference to national squad?
you think Ibrahimovic is not one of you?

As for scandinavian soccer player, 18 year old genius boy, Martin Ødegaard is often featured.
He has 100% viking looks.
You must not have heard his name.
0875名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! 6d63-EvbJ)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 06:17:55.93ID:7xPeqzgF0HAPPY
>>874
If you just tell someone "take off" then unless you're pointing to their jacket,
it could be interpreted as you telling them to get lost (that is to say, to go away.)
You should say "take IT off" or "take THAT off" if you don't want to sound vague.
And if you want to make it a little nicer, you can add a "please" at the start or end of the sentence.

I have heard of Ibrahimovic, but only through news headlines and the likes.
I have very, very little interest in soccer, so naturally I know very little about it as well.

As for our supposed nationwide indifference to a multinational team,
I don't know for sure. But since Sweden seems to be dead set on being extremely politically correct,
I doubt that even people who aren't okay with it would want to speak out for fear of facing repercussions.
0878名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! 1d4d-AWKa)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 11:40:05.77ID:ddZP+1ul0HAPPY
It is very tough for me to learn those phrasal verbs by heart because in general, each one has a lot of different meanings.
On top of that, I'm often at my wit's end for what is best when I choose one from among those which have similar meanings.
So, I make it a habit not to use them as much as possible.
0881名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! 1d4d-AWKa)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 16:28:08.55ID:ddZP+1ul0HAPPY
>>880
Who are you referring to? Me? If so, I'm very happy with your comment.
What I keep in mind is to compose as long English sentences as possibe, no matter how redundant they are.lol
I've read a couple of books on writing techniques and they unanimously say," the shorter,the better when you write sentences."
However, I don't believe them because ironically, their sentences are in fact long when they develop their argument.
Making the most of relative pronouns and adverbs, I want to acquire a good command of English someday.
0883名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! 6d63-EvbJ)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 17:09:52.40ID:7xPeqzgF0HAPPY
>>878
Japanese also sort of has them in the form of verbs such as 書き取る、走り出す、
and 飛び出す just to name a few.
But don't worry about having a hard time learning them, because to me,
these kinds of verbs don't make any sense either. When I first saw 引き取る
I saw "draw take" which I thought meant "pull in" or "reel in" and then it turned
out it meant "to take over/take custody of" which was a total surprise to me.

Expressions are another thing that are annoying for learners of any language.
Especially pinpointing the exact nuance of it. An English learner might find out
"oh my god" is an expression of surprise, but might not know you can also use it
in basically any scenario. You can use it when you're angry, when you're scared,
when you're bored, when you're happy, you name it.
0885名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! 1d4d-AWKa)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 18:45:55.15ID:ddZP+1ul0HAPPY
>>883
Thank you for responding to my post. You must be a native speaker.
As an earnest learner of English, I'm a bit excited to have an opportunity to converse with you. lol
Frankly speaking, your story was literally an eye opener to me because I've never thought about how hard foreign people learn Japanese.
Now that I've realized we are even in that we are having a hard time in learning a second language, I'll follow your advice.
I'll study phrasal verbs in a more relaxed manner. Did I make myself understood? Sorry for my poor English!!
0887名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! 6d63-EvbJ)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 18:55:46.10ID:7xPeqzgF0HAPPY
>>885
I'm not a native speaker, though. I'm Swedish, but I've been speaking English
fluently for about 8 years now.
Although Nordic languages and English are extremely closely related,
so some of the most fluent non-natives you'll find are from Northern Europe.

I'm glad my little anecdote was interesting. But honestly, it must be just as hard
for Japanese people to learn English, since the two languages are basically total opposites.
Just today I thought about how hard it must be to wrap your head around the difference between
"in" and "on," especially in fluent usage. We say we're on a train, on a plane, and on a bike,
but we say we're in a house, in a car, in a good mood, in a rush, and so on.
I imagine it must also be really hard to get used to all the articles (a, an, the, etc.)
and needing to almost always use "I" and "you" when these are omitted almost all the time in Japanese.

Your English is perfectly understandable. The only mistake I can see is
"I've never thought about how hard foreign people learn Japanese"
because I assume you meant "how hard *it is for* foreign people *to* learn Japanese."
If not, then it's still a correct sentence, but it sounds weird. It implies all foreign people who learn Japanese
study it hard, and that you thought about how hard they study. Like I said, it's not wrong, but it sounds weird.

If you have any other questions about the English language then I'd be happy to answer them.
0888名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! Sd22-tkS5)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 19:00:07.88ID:qyGWg/cWdHAPPY
Since November 18 ,I have been hospitalized for appendicitis and prohibited to eat anything. So, I miss my favorite foods very much.
0890名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! e1bd-JNqm)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 19:22:41.43ID:tdkMZv9C0HAPPY
A-ha-n, a-ha-n, a-ha-n, a-ha-n,
0891名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! 6d63-EvbJ)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 20:10:22.68ID:7xPeqzgF0HAPPY
I'm not that familiar with 5ch/2ch (do you guys still call it 2ch, even now?)
but I'm wondering if there's a thread like this one but for Japanese learners to chat or have their writing corrected.
I don't see one in the thread list, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

>>888
That sounds terrible. I hope you get better soon.
0893名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! Sd22-tkS5)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 20:43:44.54ID:qyGWg/cWdHAPPY
>>891
Thank you.
0894名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday!W 25a8-SXe8)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 21:05:31.91ID:3/AsJ9xw0HAPPY
I like IKEA, but I prefer Nitori.
I admit IKEA excels any other home centers at wooden furniture, but all other stuff in Nitori is superior to IKEA's counterpart.

*I'd appreciate it if you notice mistakes above.
0895名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! 6d63-EvbJ)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 21:20:40.04ID:7xPeqzgF0HAPPY
>>894
I admit (that) IKEA *is better* at *making* wooden furniture *than any other home center*,
but all other stuff(/everything else) *at* Nitori is superior to IKEA's counterparts.

The "that" is optional but excluding it is a little colloquial, likewise "all other stuff" is also
pretty colloquial while "everything else" is more formal in style.
There's nothing wrong with being colloquial, but "excel," "superior," and "counterpart"
are all more formal/less colloquial words. Mixing the styles isn't wrong, but it's very much
like writing 「ニトリのやつはIKEAのやつより上手いであります」

(Pardon me if I got that wrong, I just wanted to try to illustrate the difference if possible.)
0898名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! 1d4d-AWKa)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 22:29:05.21ID:ddZP+1ul0HAPPY
>>887
I thank God for letting me meet a person who seems to be friendly and cheerful. lol

So, you are Swedish. Speaking of Sweden, my knowledge toward your country is limited to the one most ordinary Japanese people have.
Having said that, there are two things I'm most interested in about it.
One is that although you country is famous for its high-walfare system, what is a negative aspect about that ?
That's because I've learned that your people tend to get divorced easily.
And the other is how you treat old people when they get terminally ill because I personally think the concept of " vitalism" is now prevailing
in Japanese siciety, which is " the longer you live, the better it is."
0899名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! 6d63-EvbJ)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 22:40:09.55ID:7xPeqzgF0HAPPY
>>898
>One is that although you country is famous for its high-walfare system, what is a negative aspect about that ?
The first would be that it's very easy to abuse. You get quite a lot of money, especially if you live with your parents,
and if you meet certain criteria (for example, if you have a mental illness) you may not need to work at all to earn that money.
So there is a decent portion of the population that simply abuse the system and get money without working at all.
This is EXTREMELY prominent with immigrants who come here and simply act like parasites, never bothering to properly
learn the language or adopt to the culture, let alone work.

>That's because I've learned that your people tend to get divorced easily.
I don't know why that is, but it seems plausible. Divorce rates are going up in every western country, but if they're particularly
bad here then that might be because women almost always receive the best outcome from a divorce. They take 50% of
a pre-divorce household's assets and income and then (if they get custody of any children) they can also demand alimony
from the husband. Maybe divorce rates are also higher because we are a very atheist country that don't see marriage as anything
holy that shouldn't be broken because God doesn't want us to.

>And the other is how you treat old people when they get terminally ill
In the west, while we do treat the elderly nicely or at least decently, we definitely don't
show them the same level of respect as Japanese people do.
I believe it's very common (not in every case, but still common) for old people to be put into
retirement homes so they'll be cared for by the staff there. I don't know whether the old person's
pension pays for the care or if their children pay for it, but it definitely isn't common for old people
to live with their children and grandchildren here.
0905名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday! 6d63-EvbJ)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 23:27:31.84ID:7xPeqzgF0HAPPY
>>903
They're all in the same language family; the Germanic language family.
However, I think Swedish and English are much more similar than German and either of the other two.
German has grammatical genders and is, in my opinion, much more complex than English.
However, because they're all related and share some vocabulary, if you speak any of these three
languages then learning one of the other ones should be easy.
That said, I don't speak German as I don't have any interest in the language.

>>902
>>904
Thank you for the compliment, however I would not be confident as a teacher since my path to
English fluency is primarily through exposure and knowing what "feels" right rather than the
technicalities that make languages work as they work, so if someone were to ask me questions
that involved linguistic terms beyond my current (basic) understanding I would be completely
unable to answer them.
Furthermore, I can only speak Japanese at roughly an intermediate level, and I'd probably make
many mistakes while doing so.
0906名無しさん@英語勉強中 (HappyBirthday!WW 0224-Nbfe)
垢版 |
2017/11/20(月) 23:43:11.30ID:YujSPe4H0HAPPY
It must be like the relationship between Japanese and Koreans.
Both can easily master the other language because of grammatical similarities.
By the way,your Japanese is not in intermediate level but in completely advanced level.
I have to admit that your Japanese is far better than my English as a second language to the extent that it is hard to believe that you are non-japanese.
0907名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイ 6ecf-RjUU)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 00:44:46.80ID:Ty0GSMOw0
>>905
I learned German a little at college as a Second Language program
so I might kind of suitable for Swedish to learn

> I can only speak Japanese at roughly

You dont look like that way
You appear to understand some phrase that the Japanese English learners
are commonly confused when speaking English
0909名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイ 6d63-EvbJ)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 01:02:42.97ID:lPx63cgW0
>>907
I could likely hold a conversation in Japanese, but I'd sound very unnatural
and I would no doubt make some mistakes.
I mean, I would definitely be way better off than a fresh-off-the-boat English
teacher who barely speaks a word of Japanese, and I'd at least try not to say
anything rude and not translate everything mentally (I know you don't need to
say 私 and 貴方 like we do in English) but I'd still only barely manage.
0910jook ◆jook7sIb7g (ワッチョイ c6d1-ijJr)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 02:36:11.40ID:Qcq6IrG+0
>>825
Who knows? We would need more information. Just based on what you said, probably not.
Did he give a reason for inviting you?

>>843
I would choose transforming power.

>>850
The milk bags are sturdy enough that they don't break easily just from carrying them around.
You put the entire bag into the pitcher, and then cut the corner, so there's no chance to spill until it's
in a stable container. I just realized there is no cap though. The hole is just exposed all the time.
That seems like it would be a problem.

>>861
You can't escape trolls on the internet. Best to ignore them.
0911jook ◆jook7sIb7g (ワッチョイ c6d1-ijJr)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 03:10:46.40ID:Qcq6IrG+0
>>864
"take off" is completely right. "put off" sounds really weird. If you said that, people
wouldn't understand.

>>909
That's pretty much where I am too. I studied Japanese for 4 years, but I've forgotten
a lot of it in the last 10 years.
0912名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイ cdcf-cjtC)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 05:15:13.88ID:19oHlXw70
On a radio program, one japanese university professor was talking about his experience.

He said "take off" in his class. Then one foreign student, probably from eastern europe corrected a
mistake and taught him "put off" ,laughing.
"Take off" would mean "fly from a runway" in that case .

Something didn't seem right for me and I looked it up on the dictionary and found out "take off"
seemed to be correct.
From his story, it's not clear wheter he said just "take off" or "take off objective (for example,
coat)"
So I wanted to confirm if "put off" makes sense when it's used as intransitive verb.

>>911
take off your coat○
put off your coat×

how about
take off ?
put off?

All in all, even English speaking Europeans sometimes make a mistake.
Japanese are not confident about English, so the proffessor assumed he made a mistake.
0913jook ◆jook7sIb7g (ワッチョイ c6d1-ijJr)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 05:53:54.61ID:Qcq6IrG+0
>>712
If you just say "put off" or "take off" by itself without more to the sentence, then "put off" doesn't
mean anything, and the only way to interpret "take off" is telling the person to go away, just like
our Swedish friend said.
If you say "take it off," it is colloquially understood to mean "take your clothes off."

I can't think of a situation where a single phrase could be confused for either taking off clothes, or
flying in an airplane.
0915名無しさん@英語勉強中 (スッップ Sd22-tkS5)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 08:14:05.26ID:7NQIBYvmd
I've been admitted to hospital for four days.
I'm so bored that I spent almost all the daytime sleeping.
I want to practice English writing,but there is nothing to write about .
0916名無しさん@英語勉強中 (スッップ Sd22-tkS5)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 08:14:56.20ID:7NQIBYvmd
spent→spend
0917名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイWW 02a3-Nbfe)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 08:48:26.55ID:XTbNEh4b0
The best way to improve writing skills is paraphrase the sentences in grammar books.
For instance if there is a sentence like "I wish I lived near my school", then you gonna write sentences using this phrase relating to your life such as "I wish I could leave the hospital now. "
0919jook ◆jook7sIb7g (ワッチョイ c6d1-ijJr)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 10:50:23.82ID:Qcq6IrG+0
>>915
By the way, "spent" can also be used and the sentence is correct, however the meaning
is slightly different. If you say "spent" then you already went through the whole day with
just sleeping.
If you say "spend," then you have already been sleeping in the day, but it also means you're
still in the middle of doing that, too.
全部の日寝た vs 全部の日寝ている
0921名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイ a981-IKRN)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 11:07:40.19ID:bK8oqxJB0
Looks like you guys have been working hard on teaching and learning
how to write good English. Keep up the good work!
0924名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイ a981-IKRN)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 15:18:19.71ID:bK8oqxJB0
Six sex acts with a bitch!
0925名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイ a981-IKRN)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 15:20:05.57ID:bK8oqxJB0
I never get sick of sex with a bitch!
0927名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイ a981-IKRN)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 15:28:50.32ID:bK8oqxJB0
Jack and Pattie went to the mall
They got themselves a big pink vibrator
Jack wanted to jack off with it
But Pattie insisted he used it on her

Jack the Jackoff king is famous at school
For his ability to jack off several times in a row
While Pattie is renowned for her performance
For she excels in her performance of petting
Any guy she happens to spot on the street

Oh well, they just love to do
Six sex acts with sick bitches and guys on the beach.
0928名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイ 1d4d-AWKa)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 16:18:14.45ID:N7ohMHY90
>>899
I apologize for the late reply and thanks for such a detailed explanation.
Honestly, I left my dictionary in my workplace, so may make a lot of typos, which means I can't make even a single sentence without the dictionary. lol
You know, I don't mind telling people how stupid I am at all because one of my life philosophies is " Honesty is the best policy."
Oh, it's almost time that I have to go see the doctor. I'll write the rest of my reply later.
0929名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイ a98c-Jw6i)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 16:44:58.72ID:q9yEujqa0
I know how you feel and I may react the same way, but it hasn't passed even 24 hours, so you
don't need to be sorry. This reminds of the train that left 20 seconds earlier than departure time
and appolized, whichmade the headlines in western media.

Do you mean you use a paper dictionary or a portable electronic dictionary? In either case,
you can use online dictionary as long as you have Internet access. I just thought it doesn't matter if you left
at your workplace. Anyway, you don't have to reply to me (and don't be sorry about not replying to me).
I just wanted to write something in English. Keep enjoying conversation with the person from Sweden.
0930名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイ cd8f-AWKa)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 17:07:14.36ID:GUk740qk0
I wonder how foreign people living in Japan make Japanese friends.
One day, I was chatting with my friends from Europe at a café, then a man suddenly approached and asked us how we got to know each other.
He told us that he married a Japanese woman and moved to Japan from America a few months ago. He says it's hard for him to find a community where he can get Japanese friends. I couldn't give him good advice..
0931名無しさん@英語勉強中 (ワッチョイ 6d63-EvbJ)
垢版 |
2017/11/21(火) 17:27:00.70ID:lPx63cgW0
Good morning, everyone.
Or rather, I suppose it's late afternoon or early nighttime for you, but still.
It's snowing here! It's snowing a lot, actually.
It's been a long time since it snowed in November, and really long since it
snowed this much. Although knowing the local weather here, it'll all melt
away in a couple of days.
Shame, since I love snow.

>>917
I do this for Japanese too and it seems to work pretty well.

>>928
Don't worry too much about spelling errors. Even if you misspell something
and end up making it into another word, people who are fluent in a language
can correct those errors in their head and figure out what you meant.
And in the worst case when the spelling really does make it hard to tell what
you're trying to say, we can always just ask you to clarify what word you meant.
You can't learn a language without making a lot of mistakes. Believe me, I know.

>>930
I'm curious how non-Japanese people make friends with Japanese people in general.
Even over the net, even when you can speak decent Japanese and he can speak decent English,
it seems like making friends is really difficult. I wonder if this is just something westerners
like myself think is a shame or if there are a lot of Japanese people who wish they could
make foreign friends too.
レス数が900を超えています。1000を超えると表示できなくなるよ。

ニューススポーツなんでも実況