>>864 >>871>>873>>874>>875
>>878
"Put off" is also a phrasal verb but it has a completely different meaning than what you have stated; it means to postpone, leave till/for later, procrastinate, delay, etc.
This is different than the phrase "to be put off by" which isn't actually a phrasal verb

>>891
theres this thread but it hasn't got much attention
http://lavender.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/english/1506322379/l50

>>905
>Swedish and English are much more similar than German
As a native English speaker who doesn't know German or Swedish, German definitely sounds closer to English than Swedish to me.
It could just be the shared vocab or the lack of exposure to Swedish,
but there are times when I hear a German sentence and can almost decipher it whereas I can't say the same for Swedish.

>>912
I can see an instance where "take off" could be interpreted as a command to take an airplane off, but it would need to be in the context of aviation. For example a VIP passenger telling a pilot to take off.
Of course such a situation is really rare, and I'm not surprised if a native speaker couldn't think it up.
As a side note, "take off" can be generalized to mean to depart. "We're taking off" doesn't strictly have to mean that an airplane is taking off; it could mean that a boat is leaving port or a group is about to leave.