>>464
After skimming through a couple of websites dedicated to explaining Japanese grammar, and apparently there's an grammatical terminology called "morpheme",
which is the smallest unit of given combination of letters that cannot be broken down to any smaller pieces.
To explain that, let me take your sentence as an example. 待つ ("to wait"), of course, the verb playing the most important role here, and される as する("to do") in passive form, and lastly, いました, that is います in past tense.
Each of these parts are delivering just the information as the speaker intended: any more omission or contraction would affect the entire meaning of the sentence.
As for the last two parts, される and いました, they don't make sense by themselves, because they are so-called "bound morpheme" which are dependent on another morpheme(s) thus couldn't be used alone.
Please note that this is just an opinion from this grammar noob, chances are some experts here and there will differ with me in lots of this,
but for now I think >>434 wanted to know that if we are even aware of these details when speaking Japanese, and clearly we, or at least I had no idea at all. How curious.